Tutoring & Homework Help
FACS offeres an extensive Tutoring Program that serves students from elementary school through grade 12. The Program is directed by Denise Gray. Should you have questions after reviewing the brochure below, contact Mrs. Gray at firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Homework Help
- eduplace.com—geography, spelling, definitions, grammar, brainteasers and games for students in grades 3-8
- nationalgeographic.com/homework/—animals, places, history/culture, art and science, maps/geography
- factmonster.com—science, math, government, history, people and sports information
- answersingenesis.com—information contrasting creation with the theory of evolution
Encyclopedias & General Reference
- online encylopedias and dictionaries—site has extensive list of links to general and specialized materials
- bartleby.com—encyclopedia, fact book, dictionary, etc.
- almanac.com—North America's Old Farmer's Almanac
- refdesk.com—links to search engines, reference information, weather, news, etc.
- infoplease.com—daily and children's almanacs, dictionary, atlas and encyclopedia
Dictionaries & Thesauri
- American Heritage Dictionary—dictionary plus encyclopedia, thesaurus and quotations
- Merriam Webster Dictionary—online dictionary, thesaurus and word games
- yourdictionary.com—more than 1,500 dictionaries representing various languages
- thesaurus.com—simple translator, word games, word of the day
Maps & Geography
- National Geographic Map Machine—generate your own simple printable map
- atlapedia.com—full-color physical and political maps as well as key facts and statistics on countries of the world
- randmcnally.com—rudimentary online maps and sales for commercially produced maps
- earthlinks— Earth sciences & map library from the University of California at Berkeley
Research & Writing
- Tennessee State Library—When linked to this site, choose Shelby County, then choose FACS. Through membership in this library, FACS provides a vast network of online data.
- research paper writing—links take you through the process of writing a research paper
- mla.org—answers frequently asked questions about MLA citation style
- citationmachine.net—initeractive tool that helps you credit information properly
- rapidcite.com—a simple look at works cited
- Purdue University online writing lab—here's how you can avoid plagiarism
- writing about history—defines primary and secondary sources (with examples of each) and provides a guide to writing history papers
- bibme.org--assists in developing correctly formatted bibliographies